Pages

Monday, August 31, 2009

Celebrate the Life of Ellen Maslow


It is with heavy heart that we announce the passing of Ellen Maslow on Saturday, August 29, 2009.

A public memorial service will be held at the Boulder Theater on Thursday, September 3 from 5-9pm. There will also be a second memorial service held in New York City on October 4, details to be announced.

For the last 7 years Ellen Maslow has directed Present Tense: films and discussion. Joined by a distinguished panel of volunteers and community leaders, Present Tense has managed an extraordinary range of quality programming. From established film classics like Dr. Strangelove to Iranian independent films like Turtles Can Fly, audiences have been treated to life changing images and thought provoking discussions. Ellen's primary vision for Present Tense remains its genius today. Present Tense: films and discussion has established a broad based and growing reputation for its unique blend of art, social relevance and a collective call to action.

Though her life was cut short by cancer, her vitality and forceful witness to social action, awareness and deep solidarity with those who suffer calls all who knew her–and the thousands over the years who have attended Present Tense programs–to press on inspired, by the vast legacy she leaves.

Present Tense
is working to create a tribute to Ellen's years of commitment and inspiration. If you would like to volunteer or be involved in future programming, please contact Brenda Fox at brendainboulder @ yahoo.com

In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be made to the Boulder homeless shelter in the name of Ellen Maslow. Details can be found online at www.bouldershelter.org/donate.money.html

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ellen Maslow was Danny Schecters/20015 college mate and long life friend. He asked her to help me in Boulder summer 1987. She introduced me to the Narropa institute where I studied Shambala the Tibetan path of the Warriors with Trungpa Rinpoche associates & his book series. It has remained one of my most astounding experiences. She kindly let me stay at her apartment when Lois Jane Grey my friend and United Airlines hostess was away.Ellen remains as one of my life savers at the odd moments of my life when the West side publisher in Boulder had accepted to publish my manuscript but Danny Schecter and Ellen told me not to accept it at the time when the political hoax of Betty Mahmoudi's book{Never without my daughter} was in the vogue. Ellen talked tand listened to me sympathetically. She also introduced me to her dentist who did a great job of dentistry free of charge for me. My heart was failing and Lois drove me to San Francisco where I had my 2nd open heart surgery.Both of them have left us on earth. She was a jewel at the treasure of my heart.